Interview with Benjamin Young

by Joel De La Cruz

Interview with Benjamin Young, Double Bass/ Electric Bass player

Benjamin is a bassist originally from Boston, Massachusetts, he attended Berklee College of Music. He started playing the violin at the age of 3 and then eventually switched over to playing the violin. He currently lives in New York City and plays in many different rooms like the Harlem Wine room, Shrine World Music venue, Rockwood Music Hall among many other places. Benjamin currently plays in a jazz quartet and a guitar trio called YEStet with Kevin Scollins and Willis Edmundson.

1). What drew you to be jazz over other genres?

Jazz music, and music of the American songbook has always been a big part of my life. I grew up studying classical music, and ultimately fell in love with Black American Musical forms ( RnB, Blues, jazz, and Rock ) and improvised music, while in high school. I love the way that musicians have a different way to express themselves with their interpretations.

2). Are there any musicians that inspire you? What are the qualities about them that you most admire?

Lots of musicians inspire me, but some that come to mind are the most recorded bass player, Ron Carter, and saxophonist and Composer Mellisa Aldana. Both of them are incredibly masterful at their instrument and composing. The greater inspiration comes from their drive, and love for the process of learning and growing

3). What are some of the things that go through your mind as you perform in front of an audience?

While performing I try to keep my mind as clear as possible. My main goal is to be present, and listen as best I can. This ensures that the music is as authentic as possible.

4). What’s the best piece of advice another musician ever gave you?

The best advice that I’ve been given is to play what I like, if I’m connected to it then the audience will also have an amazing experience. Basically to be true to myself as a musician and human being!

5). What are your biggest interests outside of music?

Outside of music, I love to cook, and read.